Sunday, June 10, 2012

Mega Update: The Corrupt Computer Chronicles

Ladies and Gentlemen, I apologize for the recent lack of updates. As some of you may have heard, my computer screen was broken for the longest time. In fact, it costs a substantial sum of money and time to replace! Here is the photo proof:

White screen of death!!!!

It has been over a month since my last update so a lot of things have happened. In fact, I can't even remember them all, so I'll just post the highlights and main events.

G's Wedding (5/10)
So, many people accuse foreigners of not really accepting Korean culture and life style. One of the foreigners in my town, G, went against the grain here and decided to marry one. They are a remarkable couple and I have nothing but great things to say about them. They held their wedding at the famous Gochang temple, Seonunsa. I wish them both the best of luck moving forward with their lives together. It was awesome to see how people can really connect, no matter what path in life they have taken.

Hello there

Seems like a nice place for a wedding

We're a family now :D

The ceremony

Open Mic Night & OCT (5/12)
After an OCT meeting, I found a bar that was willing to let us host an Open Mic Night in Hongdae. It was a great informal gather of ETAs, researchers, and random friends for a talent showcase! There were songs, poetry readings, dances, and even personal tributes. I wanted to have some fun and but also raise money for charity. Of course, proceeds went to Open Doors Foundation! Anyway, a big thank you to all those that came out and support our charity! I hope to do this again next year too!

Blurry  Emcee

First up, Jeju Jooze

feat. HSO

Blurry poet

The work was well received

Friends having fun

Friends mingling

Beer was involved

Poems

We hear ya

Goof

Poet up

Eyes on the camera

A song

Researched poem

Post dance, nothing exists of the dance itself

That is not a mic

Just have fun with it

No, too much fun, scale it back

A serenade

This was a dance too

I present, the OCT

The full OCT via Instagram

Haeundae Sand Festival (6/2)
Two of the Fulbright bros and their friend asked me if I wanted to play beach volleyball with them. I hesitated since it is not my forte, but it was in Busan and going to be a ton of fun. There were even prizes. Anyway, we went and had a lot of fun. We booked a sweet motel roof suite (enough to sleep like 12) for cheap and met up with others in the area. A lot of sand, kids, and foreigners. I was able to get tan and bum around on the beach for a long time.

The team (minus me)

The sponsor hotel

Relaxin pregame 

Sand festival!

Sand sculptures

Some of them were 3D!

A sand sculpture building contest for the kids

Sand dragons

A crowd gathered for a show

The show was kinda bad... I secretly hoped it would be SISTAR

Moon on the beach

As for the tournament, we ended up taking 3rd place and won dinner at the hotel that was sponsoring the event. The team that beat us won 1st, so we could have been the 2nd best team there, but we will never know. There was on Korean guy on the 1st place team with an apocalyptic serve. It ended games. We won a trophy too and put it in the Fulbright office. Perhaps it will be our legacy on the Fulbright mantle, haha. It was a lot of fun and I  want to do it next year given that we find some good players again.

Dinner anyone?

We're number 3!

It was a buffet

Team photo

Serving up some justice

Time to battle

3rd place!

Shirt is coming off, hair is tied up, COME AT ME

Days of Rec & Prometheus (6/9)
I feel old and my body hurts in places I didn't believe existed. I think it's broken. However, I did have a ton of fun playing sports this week. On Thursday and Friday, I played basketball with my students. On Saturday, I played basketball with foreigners in Gwangju. I forgot what the real basketball games were like. I'm not going to lie, it was weird not being one of the tallest ones on the court. Today, I had two rec league games, the second one I fouled out with a total of 0 points. I couldn't move my body, so I just hacked away at people in the post. I felt horrible, but that is what it is like playing with a body that doesn't work. Like KG in game 7, you know? The will is there, but the body ain't having it. (Thunder in 6 btw) A good week for sports.

Also, Prometheus. My first 4D movie experience. The 3D was beautiful and the high def screen really makes the scenery pop. However, you cannot hide. That thing from the water was COMING AT ME. Sprayed me in the FACE. The wind blows at you front and back. YOU CANNOT HIDE. I will never watch a semi-frightening movie in 4D ever again. It was awesome, but I yelled out, "OH SH!T" a few times. Embarrassing yet funny.

Class Outings
So recently, I have been going on a few outings with students at school both  on weekends or random festival days. It is always fun to be with students outside of the classroom where I am not too responsible for their education. It is just a time to just relax and have fun with them. Of course, coaxing them into speaking English is all part of the greater plan. Much like myself, it is really enjoyable to see them all in their happier element too, where they are not responsible for learning. Anyway, my thanks goes out to 1-1 and 3-1 for taking me out to meals~! I ate deliciously and had a lot of fun.

I'm a kid again!

Anyway, once I get the chance I'll throw some more pictures up on the blog! Thanks for waiting so patiently for this update :) Life is all good~~

- Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment